Back To School Party
Back To School Party
Oh what fun it is to celebrate back to school! I love the summertime with my little scholars, but the new season brings lots of excitement and a chance to start things fresh.
For me, the new school year feels like a whole new year and that calls for a celebration! I designed my back to school party for the kids and a few friends and have featured a sweet dessert bar that's got just enough fruit to be considered balanced! But, who's counting? It's still summer, right?!
The ABCs of Easy Party Design
If there's one thing I always start with when planning a party it's a list. Some wise sage said to always begin with the end in mind and for my Back To School Party the end is a pretty, primary colored party that gets the kids excited for the classroom.
For my visual decor, I created my favorite tissue paper tassel garland in primary colors of red, yellow and blue. Next, I added these foil ABC alphabet balloons that I sell at Satsuma Kids Shop. It's easy to hang all the wall decor with Command Hooks that come on and off the wall in a jiffy.
Every party needs treats and I'm sharing my Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jelly Cupcake recipe. I paired these with name cards I found at the dollar store and turned into cupcake wrappers letter with the kids' names.
Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jelly Cupcake Recipe
Peanut Butter Cupcake Recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes. Enjoy with cold milk!
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a one dozen cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter, peanut butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and combine.
- Slowly add flour mixture to stand bowl and combine.
- Add milk and combine.
- When mixed, use an ice cream scoop to fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Cook 17-20 minutes and remove from oven with a toothpick comes out clean from the center of a cupcake.
- Let cool.
While cupcakes are cooling, make frosting via recipe below.
Strawberry Jelly Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1 TBS strawberry jam (or jelly if your prefer the smooth texture)
- 1/2 tsp strawberry extract (to taste)
- Dash milk as needed for frosting consistency
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment combine butter and strawberry jam and extract.
- Next, add sugar one cup at a time.
- Add milk as needed for consistency.
In keeping with my primary color palette, I layered strawberries, blueberries and fresh pineapple onto skewers topped with these little pennants. I filled a bowl with apples to tie into as well!
An Apple For My Teacher
I thought it would be special to greet new teachers with a note from the kids. I wanted to focus on goals for learning and created this little printable that your kids can fill out for their teachers.
It's easy to print your note! Print the PDF file below on copy paper, cut to size and let your little scholar have fun sharing a word with her new teacher.
An Apple For My Teacher Note Printable (PDF File)
LIKE THIS IDEA? GET MORE IN YOUR INBOX.
Let's Be Social