Full Service Sewn Product Development + Production
Welcome! We would love to hear about your product development and sewn goods production needs.
Satsuma Designs is a Seattle-based social enterprise focused on developing the sewn goods industry in Washington state through skills training for livable wage jobs, sustainable business practices, and low-waste production.
We are a full service sewn goods production company that can assist with the following:
- Business planning
- Website and marketing strategy
- Materials sourcing (fabric, trims, hardware, thread, labels, hang tags, packaging)
- Product costing
- Pattern making (in-house and partners)
- Pattern grading (creating multiple sizes - partners)
- Marker production and printing in house on 40" wide plotter (digital layout of a pattern on a large sheet of paper laid atop fabric layers for efficient production cutting)
- Product sampling
- Cutting and sewing
- Small to large volume production runs - 100/style MOQ (minimum) with 3 colorways and 3 sizes (S-L) included. (Additional colors/sizes subject to differentiated pricing)
Work with Satsuma Designs
As a company whose mission is to contribute to on-shoring domestic sewn goods production with a focus on Washington state, we work tirelessly to serve our clients by producing high-quality products on time and on budget.
To be contacted by a member of our team, please fill out this form.
How We Work
To cover our nut and not go nuts, we require a few things:
- Clear and respectful communication
- Tech packs for all styles
- Sampling, communication, and administrative fees - in addition to quoted per piece production cost - are billed monthly or with order invoice in lawerly 6-minute increments at $85/hour. (Materials sourcing $85/hour; Business consulting from over 20 years of industry experience $125/hour)
- Office and communication hours are Monday-Friday - weekends are for rest, reflection, and recharging
- Low-waste material systems - scraps are donated or used and excess material is converted to additional orders, donated, used in-house or by others, or charged nominal monthly storage fee.
- All fabric used in production (not sampling) MUST be on rolls. For production fabric not on rolls, hourly billing to process and transfer to rolls.
- Invoices due upon shipping or pick up - credit card payments incur 3% service charge
If you're happy to work this way or need help getting there, reach out or to be contacted by a member of our team, please fill out this form.
Getting to market quickly with your goods is important to us. We have been where you are and recognize the comfort that accompanies predictable cash flow through sales.
We will work to set a reasonable timeline for your project. Sample project timelines may include:
- Material sourcing - 1-4 weeks
- Prototyping - 1-3 weeks
- Sampling - 1-3 weeks
- Production - 4-8 weeks
Just getting started or interested in moving production? Let us sample your sewn product.
Sampling starts at our current hourly rate over a minimum of three (3) hours.
Please get in touch to set up a complimentary 30-minute zoom call to see how we can help.
Are You Interested In Ethical Production?
You may be if you answer YES, please! to any or all of these descriptors.
- Work with a U.S.-based manufacturer to help create American jobs
- Work with a manufacturer that pays a fair wage
- Work with a manufacturer that provides stable, quality jobs
- Work with manufacturer that is environmentally friendly and works to operate a low waste facility through LEAN manufacturing methods
- Work with a manufacturer that has an equity and dignity-based business model and work environment
- Ensure that my product has a low carbon footprint and/or is made from environmentally friendly or U.S.-sourced materials
- Ensure that my business operates as a social enterprise, meaning some aspect of your business improves human or environmental well-being
Happy Clients Report
“Jennifer’s positive, can-do attitude is contagious and makes working with Satsuma a no brainer. Jennifer is a wealth a knowledge for resources, any time I’m not sure where to find something Jennifer has the answer.” | Sara Eizen, Seattle Interior Designer & Professional Organizer - SaraEizen.com
"At Swirl Vintage, we were in need of assistance with our marketing, how to best use our social platforms and how to drive our sales. Jennifer was eager to help move us forward and suggest how to place us in the best direction to generate revenue. I appreciate her open mind to bring new ideas to the table and really figuring out who our target market is and how to move forward." | Jill at Swirl Vintage
"It is a joy to work with Satsuma! [Jennifer] is a helpful presence who loves supporting local businesses and teaching others tips and tricks." | AS
"I had the privilege of working with Satsuma on a custom backpack project to accommodate my daughter's medical equipment...we ended up with three very functional and attractive backpacks that my daughter can now proudly use. We would both highly recommend working with Satsuma!" | MS, Seattle
"How on earth are you so productive?! Teach me the way, Master Yoda!" | SH, Seattle
"Working with Jen and her team at Satsuma has been an amazing experience for a small new business like us. She was knowledgeable and creative in finding ways to make our design work and committed to delivering high quality products. Jen is honest, hardworking and all around an amazing partner to have in getting our products made locally and ethically. We're grateful and proud of the partnership!" | Sunny Hong, Portmanteau Home