Gluten Free and Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
I've been around long enough to remember when muffins were HUGE in size and popularity. The idea that we could enjoy a muffin with health benefits as opposed to what version 1.0 used to be - a CUPCAKE - delighted all. Well most of us woke up and realized that the commercial versions were basically the precursor to the cupcake craze and 500 calories per serving later we said 'pass'. But there's no need to pass on this gluten free and vegan carrot cake muffin that takes a scant 10 minutes of prep time in only one bowl. Like me, you may feel a bit nostalgic when you bite into one of these goodies that tastes as yummy as a cupcake, but is healthy enough to call a muffin. So enjoy these gluten free and vegan carrot cake muffins for snack, dessert, or school lunch!
Gluten Free and Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins - one bowl recipe!
- 1 1/2 c oat flour (make your own from GF oats)
- 2 Tbs ground flax seed (whip up your own in a clean coffee grinder)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 1/2 c peeled and shredded carrot (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/4 c almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 c raw sugar
- 1/4 c melted coconut oil
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 c golden raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Now process your oats and flax into flours.
- Combine oat flour, flax meal, cinnamon and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add carrots, almond milk, vanilla and sugar to bowl and stir to combine.
- Add melted coconut oil and combine
- Add walnuts and raisins if desired.
- Use ice cream scoop to distribute batter to 10 muffin liners.
- Bake 25 minutes, turning at 12 minutes for even cooling. Test for doneness with a toothpick.
- Cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then transfer to a baking rack for up to 30 minutes.
- Spread a little Toffuti vegan spread on top and enjoy!