Slow Cooker White Bean and Collards Soup (gluten free)
Among the many joys of fall is pulling out the slow cooker for the season. Not only does it produce warm, cozy food, but it's efficient, affordable and easy to cook with (or with which to cook, Mom!). I easily use my too small 3 quart slow cooker twice per week, usually for a chili or soup on Sunday that I serve up for my solo lunch early week. Last week I tried a riff on my standard white bean and kale soup and combined the flavor and protein of my pea soup standby. Here's the slow cooker white bean and collards soup (gluten-free) to add to your seasonal lineup. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker White Bean and Collards Soup (gluten-free)
- 1 ham hock
- 2 cans great northern beans (rinse and drained to reduce the sodium)
- 3/4 cup each: onion, carrot, celery (search your market for a mirepoix mix for even faster prep time
- 1/2 - 1 tsp hot sauce (Tabasco to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch chopped, washed collard greens
- 1 box low sodium chicken stock
- water to fill your slow cooker
- Place ham hock in slow cooker
- Combine rinsed beans with all ingredients and place over ham hock
- Pour chicken stock over all and fill the rest of your slow cooker with water almost reaching the top
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Top with lid
- Turn on slow cooker to low for 7-8 hours. Can reduce time by half on high.
- Serve with gluten-free cornbread or crunched corn chips
Today is a gift. Let's put a bow on it!
Find happy and creative living ideas to
celebrate big and small. Let's party!
I also help makers and retailers by sharing formulas for success. ♥ jennifer
Satsuma Designs' blog features paid advertising banners, sponsored posts and affiliate links for some of the products mentioned in posts.
We only post about ideas and products we are excited about and opinions are always our own.