Gluten-Free, Vegan Cornbread Recipe
I love that this recipe originated at a clothing store website. Yep, Free People, whose clothing I like a lot, but have never bought. My first 'taste' of their brand is delish! So if game day and chili are in your immediate future add these into mix and turn your family into fans. There are so many things right with this recipe. These easy to make muffins are:
1. FAST! Seriously, in the time it takes the oven to pre-heat to 375 degrees, your batter is mixed and in the muffin tin ready to roll into the oven. An easy 20 minutes in the cooker and you're done.
2. Gluten-free and vegan - Easy on the tummy.
3. MOIST - Not sure about you, but I love cornbread, but am constantly drying it out somehow. I think even my batter tends to be dry! Not this one. I think the key here is the almond milk, which I love for its heft and creaminess. The applesauce to bind in place of an egg helps too, I think.
Here's what you'll need (this list looks long because it includes bowls, spoons, etc. We aim for thoroughness as well as efficiency!):
- 12 count muffin tin
- spray olive or other oil
- 2 medium sized bowls
- 1 small bowl (for milk/vinegar)
- 1 whisk or wooden spoon
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- 1 cup organic unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups ground cornmeal (choose fine or medium ground for best results)
- 1 tsp sea salt (I use iodized sea salt for the nutrients)
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened plain apple sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Turn on oven to 375 degrees. (.5 minute)
- Add vinegar to almond milk and set aside. (.5 minute)
- Whisk or stir dry ingredients together: baking powder, baking soda, corn meal, sea salt (1 minute)
- Whisk or stir wet ingredients together: maple syrup, applesauce, olive oil, then add milk/vinegar slowly (1 minute)
- Add wet to dry slowly, and stir to combine. (.5 minute)
- Add any optional tasty bits: green chili, corn, celery, onion, cheese if not vegan. (.5 minute)
- Pour into prepared (spray oiled) muffin tin. Listen for the oven pre-heat ding and you're ready! (2 minute)
- Place in oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out of largest muffin cleanly.
- Cool on rack in tin for 10 minutes
- Eat and enjoy!
- Yields 12 medium sized muffins
Today is a gift. Let's put a bow on it!
Find happy and creative living ideas to
celebrate big and small. Let's party!
I also help makers and retailers by sharing formulas for success. ♥ jennifer
Satsuma Designs' blog features paid advertising banners, sponsored posts and affiliate links for some of the products mentioned in posts.
We only post about ideas and products we are excited about and opinions are always our own.