How to Write a Thank You Note that Gets Remembered
How to Write a Thank You Note that Gets Remembered
I had the good fortune and gentle pressure to have been raised to write a thank you note for any gift received, meal enjoyed and adventure taken.
I'm raising my kids the same way, but as a parent cajoling little hands to share their gratitude in written form is not always easy.
I've considered many ways to make writing thank you notes easier, but haven't written my recipe for success until now.
Follow along to get my formula for how to write a thank you note that gets remembered, even stuck to the front of the refrigerator or better, placed on the mantle!
It's as Easy as A-B-C
With my easy to follow formula on how to write a thank you, you'll eliminate the stress that can accompany this task that attaches to major milestones: birthday parties, weddings, baby showers and more.
One key to making sure that you will in fact write those thank you notes is to make sure you have all the supplies you need on hand.
Thank You Note Supplies
- A box or two of thank you notes in a variety of styles - sometimes a thank you note stays on the To Do list because there isn't the proper note card. Invest in a few styles of note cards to serve different recipients.
- A black ink pen or a fine, ball point pen
- An up-to-date address book with accurate addresses
- Forever or first class stamps
Thank You Note Cheat Sheet
In my business and personal life, I try to send at least one note of gratitude each day. This sounds like a lot, but it has become a happy habit and one that I look forward to each day.
My daily ritual doesn't always involve a card, envelope and stamp, but I do pen a few notes per week.
Instead, I simply focus on the content not the form.
Send Gratitude in any Form
When 'Thanks!' is falling from your lips and there's no time for a written note or the snail mail pace, by all means, send your thanks.
Here are a few fast ways to show your gratitude.
- Send a text of thanks, be sure to include confetti, balloons or fireworks to really set the festive tone!
- Fire off an email that is sincere and full of heart to show your thanks. Be sure to include how the gift/event/meeting made you feel. The best way to show gratitude is to show the other party your heart.
- Pick up the phone! There's nothing like the sound of gratitude from a friend, colleague or acquaintance. Sometimes, the best laughs are enjoyed rehashing a lunch moment. These life events are the little bursts we need to really live our full, happy lives. Take the 3-5 minutes to call to thank someone for the gift they gave you, whatever it may be.
- If no one answers, leave a thoughtful voicemail without the expectation to receive a return call.
- Send flowers!
How To Write A Thank You Note That Gets Remembered
I teach all about gratitude in my manners classes for kids and business and social etiquette for young adults.
We role play in my classes about giving thanks at the table to a hostess and for the meal. We talk about gratitude in the context of relationships and time spent together.
And we practice writing thank you notes to the people who mean most to us in our lives.
One of my favorite parts of my classes, is discovering who my students choose to thank. Happily, Mom and Dad show up very often, but cousins in the military, siblings, elderly neighbors and more are just some of the lovely answers I receive when I ask to whom my students are writing.
Thank You Note Formula
When it's time to sit down to write a thank you note, forget the quantity and go for quality!
Start with a salutation or opening such as, Dear, Hello or Hi.
Follow with a sentence of remembrance for the gift/event/meal/etc.
For example, "It was so fun to spend the weekend at the beach together. I'll forever remember the seafood stew you made on Saturday night!"
Next, include your thanks, "Thank you so much for hosting our family at your lovely home. We enjoyed ourselves so much and hope you'll come visit us soon so we can make more fun memories together.
Include a closing sentence, such as, "Enjoy the rest of your summer at the beach!"
And end with a valediction, just a fancy way of saying adios! Try, Sincerely, Best Wishes, Fondly or for close friends and family, Love always wins the day.
Quick Thank You Note Reference Guide
- One opening sentence
- One sentence that includes the words, thank you
- One closing sentence
Thank You Note Formula Printable
To print the image you see below with my thank you note formula, simply click the link to the PDF below and print onto copy paper.
Leave this document at your desk or fold into your address book or note card box to have on hand when you need it. And thank you!
Today is a gift. Let's put a bow on it!
Find creative and sustainable ways to make family life a delight! Sharing modern etiquette that kids will enjoy.
Satsuma Designs' blog features paid advertising banners, sponsored posts and affiliate links for some of the products mentioned in posts.
We only post about ideas and products we are excited about and opinions are always our own.